Offering Hardwood Flooring Solutions Since 1928
Call us at (805) 967-3112 for a free floor estimate or click here to send us a message.
Hardwood Flooring Frequently Asked Questions
Can I wax my hardwood floors?
- NEVER wax your polyurethane finish hardwood floors.
How do I clean my hardwood floors?
- Sweep wood floors often with a soft bristle broom.
- Vacuum once or twice a week to remove dirt and sand. Use a soft brush attachment to minimize scratching.
- Use a very dry damp mop when mopping non-wax polyurethane wood floors, since excess water can seep into seams and ruin a wood floor. It is best to mop using as little water as possible.
- Wipe dry immediately with clean towels.
How do I care for my hardwood floors?
- Get rid of water right away since water is a wood floor’s worst enemy. Wipe wet spills with soft towels and then dry thoroughly.
- Place furniture pads under table and chair legs and on the feet of dressers. You can purchase them at the local hardware store or home center.
- Never drag furniture or other objects across a wood floor. Instead, clean floor to remove dust and dirt and then use “gliding” furniture pads underneath the piece to assist in sliding it across the floor.
- Install floor mats at each entrance so you don’t track in dirt. Consider using carpet runners, with non-skid pads, over wood floors in high traffic areas.
- Keep high heel shoes in good condition. Damage or worn high heels may dent your hardwood floor.
Long Term Care
- Polyurethane finishes eventually will show wear patterns from surface scratches. When high traffic areas begin to look worn or dull, it’s time to call our office for a recoat.
For More Information
- Visit the National Wood Flooring Associations website or call our office to speak to an expert.